Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Smoking

Call me bias, old fashion, kampong, unstylish or untrendy, whatever - guilty as charged but I am anti smoking. I've come to a conclusion that smokers need to have their high either due to mental need, physical need, habit, or to boost a low self-esteem,  to look modern, stylish, confident, a sign that they have arrived, or just plain addicted.

The image of a sweet young thing seemingly with a quiet confidence, demure and appealing is shattered the moment she took out that cigerette pack and lighter. Inhaling and exhaling the cigarette 'stylishly' like in movies and tv, I felt sad for her as in my eyes she has turned into someone who wanted to be seen as not your common next-door-girl but a sophisticated young lady. I had to resist my maternal urge to go over to her to tell her that it does not work. I have even contemplated giving her flyer about the bad effects of smoking. My children may have tired of my various ways of "advising" them against smoking. It may sink in or may not but that is all a mother could do.

Restaurants should follow the airport policy of putting smokers in a room and let them inhale each others smoke - secondary and primary - instead of having a room for non-smokers and giving smokers the prime location of the airy outdoor under a covered verandah to enjoy the sunrise and sunset. Why oh why do we the non-smokers have to tolerate silently the pungent smelly cigars and the nausiating cigeratte smoke. Why are smokers allowed to enjoy their sins at our expense?

I know there will be many who disagree with me as statistics have shown that there is a rising % of smokers especially amongst youngsters. I have a feeling I may get a lot of flak on this.

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree on your view....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, in this topic, I totally agree with you, Madam Ex-president. In fact, I myself was a heavy chain smoker before. But God's willing, from 1993 I managed to quit smoking for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeeeeh - and I thought I would be getting a lot of negative remarks on my thoughts. I just could not be take it anymore. Eating at the mamak stalls and club is not that enjoyable anymore. Thank you my friends for agreeing with me

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi mamaaaa your not bias, old fashion, kampong, unstylish nor untrendy - smokers are.

    also what i call, "fashion victim"

    love u :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeeeeh happy days!!
    You are right - a smoker is a fashion victim. I think it should be seen that way instead of trying to convince smokers that smoking is unhealthy as it doesn't work for them.
    luv u dear.

    ReplyDelete