Monday, August 2, 2010

Convocation

Today is my convocation where I received my PhD scroll from the Chancellor of University Malaya Sultan Azlan Shah. I was feeling abit down since my three children could not attend and be with me on this auspicious day as their Universities have started the semester. Along, my eldest son phoned from Melbourne to say how proud he was of his mom. Oh great sorrow when my two other kids seems not to realise the significance and did not give any response to my sms. I even withhold one ticket just in case one of them could make it.

However I was pleased as my mom, eldest sister, sister-in-law together with my two nephews, and of course my beloved were here. My hands were full with 3 flower bouquets and 2 sticks of ferrero rocher. Hahaha and my sister sms me to say that I looked comel !!! - that itself is like another bouquet of ferrero rocher. After the ceremony we all went for lunch at the KLGCC and it was a fitting end to a wonderful day.

The whole morning ceremony was for the conferment of Honorary Degree, Emeritus Professor and PhD. There were 5 speeches. The first was from the Chancellor himself which was understandably regal and formal. Emeritus Prof Dr Kumar Das was inspiring while the other three wasn't. I always felt that a good speech should - Relate to the audience, witty, straight-to-the-point without it being too lengthy, with the right intonation that shows passion, with some eye contact, current, having depth limiting the pie in the sky, not too full of yourself and last but not least speak with humility.

8 comments:

  1. Salam AP Dr Maimun... congratrulationsssss..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Anie Azmie
    Thanks for the congrats message. I'm very glad I embarked on the PhD 5 years ago and syukur Alhamdullilah was able to sustain the enthusiasm and complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fuyoh fulamak hehehehe congratulationssssss :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sayang
    All the late nights, memerah otak, searching ideas and literature, reading, compiling, analysing, synthesising, conceptualizing and writing culminates to that one moment on stage getting the scroll. But it was all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Salam Sr Dr.Wan Maimun
    Congratulation on your convocation.
    Saifulnizam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Saifulnizam
    Thanks dear and good luck on your research.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Salam Mun,

    Congratulationsss. You yourself - very inspiring. I always enjoy your company. That was what I related to my daughter who got her scroll for her B.Eng (Civil)on the 7th. She also enjoyed it - talking to you at Avon...

    Wan Khazanah (Aqiq)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dato'
    Congratulations on your daughter's achievement and with that scroll in her hand InsyaAllah big thing is in store for her as an engineer. And thank you for your kind words. We also enjoyed both you and your daughter's company. Take care

    ReplyDelete