Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Political awareness

I may not be politically involved but I am politically aware. I am not politically illiterate and I know what's going on and what's good for the country. I always believe that you have to always look at the bigger picture as politics are not about a few issues and you should not be swayed and make rash judgement based on that. The very fabric of malaysian integrity is woven within its political and racial harmony. What I could do in a small way I did. I use my voting right responsibly even its just one vote.  I don't participate in what I call campus politics - University students not knowing the right channels resort to unruly demonstration, anonymous letters, unhurling banners - it's amazing that some politicians are still practising these !!

It's so easy to be anti-establishment - the easiest thing in the world is to criticise, condemn and tear everything apart after it happened. Comments that goes like - corruption rampant, public accountability zero, incoherence public policies, poor state of judiciary, legacy that tolerate political nonsense, etc. - as if nothing good had been done, as if everything is in a state of chaos, categorising and generalizing everything. You can see the glass as half empty or half full i.e. only taking the negative or both including the positive. It also reminded me of Maslow's theory of needs. My stand is simple show me the evidence of wrong doings and I will believe but not until then. Even then its only for that particular event - its not for me to generalise and equate what wrong happenned in that is also happening in others.

In my line of work with regards to procurement, tender and contract, I had my share of these innuendos. Someone told someone who then told my trustworthy friend. Am I to believe these someones who presumably said his source is reliable?!!! Hearsays regarding who are getting what project and how, biasness, cronyism, requests, top-ups, commissions. I don't conclude, label, categorise nor make judgement on hearsays. It may be correct and these things happenned as we are not living in a perfect world - so its important to trust the system - and report them. I distrust those who said they have the evidence but waiting for the right time and insisting to be believed. As I kept on saying - if you have the evidence, bring these people to court and let it be judged. Without all the information, the bigger scheme of things in its actual context, who are you to judge?

3 comments:

  1. Dear Maimun,

    It is not enough just to be politically aware and politically literate.

    We must most definitely vote when there is an election.(not erection ah!!-Mydin....Mydin). Voting is a basic democratic responsibility of every citizen.

    More than that, we (ISM members) as "cerdik pandai" must also actively participate and contribute politically so that the right things and not the wrong things are done for the country. If we all keep quiet and don't participate, politicians then may do whatever they like and assume that we all agree to those policies and its consequences.

    I sincerely believe that it is not enough just to be politically literate and aware but that all Malaysian must also,irrespective of age and status actively participate and contribute in whatever way best possible to shape and make Malaysia into what we all want it to be (a better place?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Selva
    We are indeed on the same wavelength - I vote responsibly (Mydin? - don't get that joke!!) and what I could I did in my own small way to make my country a better place for me and my future generations. And as in my earlier posting "comments and criticism", ISM exercise our responsibility by forwarding memorandums to government on issues and policies concerning property and construction industry.

    My idea of being politically aware and literate are: not passing rash and dangerous judgement, making condemning remarks and voting irresponsibly and emotionally just on hearsays/gossip/khabar angin/blog without the benefit of knowing the bigger picture as these would rock the very fundamental of Malaysian integrity i.e. racial and social harmony. Being literate also means you are not easily swayed by issues and situation which are actually irrelevant or at times mistrued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If we all keep quiet and don't participate, politicians then may do whatever they like and assume that we all agree to those policies and its consequences. "..... sometimes the best thing to do is not do anything, like a cracked tempered glass that leaks droplets of water that we cant afford to change because there are currently no better replacement but when try to seal the leak to make it better then the glass shatters and what was bad becomes worst... the truth hurts but again who's 'truth' is to b believed or acted on, is the 'truth' from the' writers' or the 'truth' from the 'readers' point of view??... agreeing with red may make blue or yellow or white angry.... agreeing with yellow may make blue or white or red angry... dilema, dilema, dilema..

    ReplyDelete