Sunday, September 26, 2010

Reminiscing the Climb

On Monday 20 Sept 2010 there was an article in Star newspaper about ISM charity climb to the Mt Kinabalu which I lead when I was the President of ISM. It was supposed to be out in June but was delayed. It not only  brought back memories of the climb but I received numerous comments from friends that the photo at the summit did not include me. I wished to reiterate that I DID reached the summit but get this - 1 1/2 hour later than the rest - hahahaha. The record climb by marathoners was 2 hours 40 mins. It took me a total 25 hours - ended at Timpohan gate at 9.00 pm where the gatekeeper was sleepily waiting for us to shut the gate !!!! Our group may have set a record for the longest time taken.

In reminiscing, the climb started with just a challenge which I jokingly threw to Katherine, ISM's CEO. She than made all the necessary arrangements with the Kinabalu park and we sent an eblast to all lady members inviting them to join the climb. One month passed and there was no response. Little did I know that secretly Katherine was hoping and praying that there would not be any response and as such I would have no choice but to cancel this madness. Hard luck. Eventhough I was skeptical and nervous but I wanted this to happen. Furthermore we had been getting donations from well-wishers and I did not want to let them down. My brother who had climbed the mountain a few times told me not to worry as  "its the friendliest mountain" - I later found out that his adjective of "friendliness" is in relation to Mt Everest!!!. For a person like me, with a weak knee, a cut finger with 6 stitches, who had never climb a tree let alone a hill or a mountain, with a fear of heights, it would be the most challenging, gut-wrenching and frightening experience of my life.

There were so many memories - the support and encouragement we received from ISM Sabah branch, Katherine, Wendy and Jamilah wailing my name upon reaching Laban Rata tired, wet and hungry, the spine-chilling fear but the thought of  friends and well-wishers expectation and Roznita's mantra of "go for the peak", climbing the vertical rock in the dark and the shock of what we had done upon daylight and having to descent, the fate that connected Katherine, Jumin, Hadi and my lost foothold, how Ina climbed like a gazelle, how that last km to the summit felt like a never ending climb with climbers descending encouraging but lying saying "just a little bit more" or "just over that hill", how I nearly fell asleep reaching the peak, how I had to stop for breathe every 3 steps due to the thin air, how two strangers and I bonded and found strength from each other's presence, how I felt the climb was much tougher than taking the PhD,  how I fell down several times in descending and Ina doubled up with laughter, how Enny asked us to walk slower even though we were already descending at a snail's pace.....etc etc. One of the most intense moment was when I was nearing the peak, being alone but not at all lonely and suddenly realising I'm being a part of the wonders of God's creation. It was an amazing life experience.

I wish to share below an email I sent to all ISM climbers after the climb:
"Dear Suzie and all,
I'm still carrying the aftermath of the climb - the nails of both my toes and three others are still blue black despite having taken all the medicine the doctor had prescribed. Yes I had forgotten the tiredness and the pain but no not the horrendous fear when I looked down that steep vertical rock during the descend hanging on the rope for dear life. Even thinking about it still send shivers down my spine.

How I was able to walk the last 200m up to the peak, how I block the hysteria and fear upon descending that steep rock and how I still have the energy to walk the last 3km through the treacherous slippery rocky terrain in the rain and in the dark - I just don't know !!! But I do know how I suddenly get that burst of energy to reach the peak when I heard Bernard and then other members of my team shouted that I have arrived, how Hadi and Jumin saved me when I lost my foothold at that narrow ledge, how they together with Alice patiently walked with us for that last 3 km, how Katherine despite having a bad cough followed me, and of course the rest of the team had to wait for hours and hours for us at the foothill. BUT whatever it is I'm glad we did it and reached the peak. I have conquered my fear of heights. Thank you all for the encouragement and the cheer. Despite all the tiredness and fears - its been FUN."

My daughter put together a personal video of "The Climb" which is posted in ISM website.

3 comments:

  1. im so proud of you mama n inaaaaa

    conquer the fear of heights? check.
    now to conquer your fear of cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Along
    hahahaha I think that cat phobia cannotlah. Remember when some stray cats gave birth to several kittens at the back of our house - those small, wobbly, furry kittens - I had nightmares. And the time when you were sick and delirious and you scare me with a haunting spine-chilling meow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received email from Sr Abdul Hadi as below:

    "True. We have broken a record by arriving down at almost 9pm...Anyway, it was really an unforgetable experience. For me, it was enjoyable and fun. And I am looking forward for another trip by ISM.

    Initially, I followed madam president up to about 3rd km. Since the climb to Laban Rata is "easy and straight forward", I asked Jimi to take care of madam president alone as I wanted to be faster by joining seasoned climber youngsters Suzi and Anas.

    Upon reaching Laban Rata, I felt guilty as madam president reached quite late. I reckoned that the climb should be tough for her. I apologised to her and promised to follow her in our final climb.

    I was right in front and Jumin was behind her (2 body guards ma...) when madam president slipped her foothold. It was so sudden.God's willing, that Jumin and I instantly acted fast. I managed to find steady rock surface to support my body and stepped both feet firmly on it. Then I grabbed her right hand using both my hands and slowly pulled her up, while her
    left hand was still clinching to the rope.

    Jumin who was behind her quickly supported her body and pushed her back up. Within less than 5 minutes, We finally managed to put her foothold again. This is the "semangat gotong royong".

    Again, coming down in the dark and rain was really challenging for every body. As a "Land Surveyor", I had to be in front as navigator (or sweeper) followed by Jumin who had to lead and show madam president every right step for her to step on.

    Some of us who had to endure pain throughtout the journey. Anyway, what really matters is "the journey" not the destination.

    Bravo madam president

    Regards
    Sr Hadi"

    ReplyDelete